How to Interrupt Overthinking & Start Feeling Calm Again
Overthinking is a very common experience for Highly Sensitive people and Empaths who are prone to having high standards, caring a lot, feeling a lot, and noticing all the details and depth of interactions.
Sound like you?
Excessive planning, thinking, rehearsing or replaying conversations often comes from a wish to do things well, to be understood, (or to understand something), and a feeling that life happens too quickly.
But getting stuck in your head can leave you feeling down, unproductive, anxious, empty and upset, without any resolution!
Here are 5 ways to move beyond the cycle and back into life!
1. Experience the difference.
Acknowledge that you’d like to have a different experience than what you’re feeling right now.
- Go for different as opposed to good.
- When you’re down or upset, it can be too big a stretch to try to feel good or happy or even calm.
- Ask yourself to be open to having a different experience. Who knows what it will be yet? 😉
2. Try 3 rounds of Loving Kindness Meditation (& expect nothing).
May I be safe. (take a breath)
May I be peaceful. (take a breath)
May I be at ease. (take a breath)
May I be happy. (take a breath)
- Do 3 rounds.
- Expect nothing, just let yourself feel.
- Give yourself full permission to be where you’re at.
- Notice what comes.
- See how you breathe, and what feelings emerge.
- Expect nothing. When you’re a perfectionist, you already have HUGE demands of yourself. This exercise sets you free to just be you.
- Give yourself FULL permission just to BE. 🙂
3. Do something physically active that brings you comfort.
Move to change your feelings.
4. Notice what you do like in your environment.
- When you’re feeling upset, it’s easy to focus intently on what’s wrong within or around you. Let’s shift that!
- Don’t push; just allow.
- Be curious and open — this shifts your feelings.
5. Choose 1 list of 5 Things:
- Name 5 things to be grateful for (and really feel them!) OR
- Compliment 5 people OR
- Choose uplifting words for the first 5 letters of the alphabet (e.g. Altruism, beautiful, creativity, delight!, everlasting). Feel those words!
Now, assess and return to #1, is something different? How are you feeling?
For most Highly Sensitive people, a balance between thinking, feeling, and action is at the heart of well-being.
If you’d like personalized help with being more present and moving beyond overthinking, feel free to contact me for a session, and if you appreciated this article, please share it with friends!
#mindfulness #overthinking #worry #HSP #Empath #presence #lovingkindness #acceptance #love #empowerment
Dr. Heather Schwartz is a coach and guide with a 20-year background in mindfulness and psychology, and who works with Highly Sensitive women & Empaths on their energy so they can trust themselves and share their gifts with the world!